Day in the life of a Campus Control Assistant

Image via Natalie Mao

After staring at screens and processing paperwork in her 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. cubicle job, Diana Lupercio was ready for a change. Intrigued by her brother who worked for Irvine Unified School District (IUSD) as a Campus Control Assistant (CCA), Lupercio decided to interview for an opening and landed her job here at Irvine High School (IHS). 

Lupercio came to IHS eight months ago, a few weeks prior to the start of COVID-19.

“I am always full of energy so running around campus beats sitting in a cubicle,” Lupercio said. “I love conversing and interacting in person with people so interacting with students all day every day is very enjoyable.” 

Lupercio begins her day at 7:30 a.m. by setting up a table with bottles of hand sanitizer and masks for students who need some and checks for masks and dress codes. She then goes on to gather up and pass out call slips, retape signs and arrows and supervise breaks and lunches. 

[Lupercio] is a hard worker that always strives to get the job done right away, and done right!” assistant principal Chris Nguyen said. “She is a team player that is willing to take initiative and be committed to whatever she is working on.

Lupercio plans on staying in the school district helping students and the community. She hopes to eventually become a community liaison but enjoys being a CCA as of now. Lupercio also serves as the Freshman Class Advisor for Associated Student Body (ASB).

“As many students can already tell, [Lupericio] has a very friendly, cheerful, and positive demeanor,”  assistant principal Chris Nguyen said. “Her addition continues to make Irvine High School the happiest place to work at!

In her free time, Lupercio enjoys finding new restaurants, swimming, playing tennis, going to the park with my nephews and yorkie named Athena. She also enjoys traveling and has been all over Mexico, Cuba and Europe.

“I take pride in everything I do, as does the rest of the staff,” Lupercio said. “I love the staff, students, and community members, the overall atmosphere is fantastic.”