Q & A with new Counselor, Shawnna Shore

Image via Natalie Mao

Introduce Yourself.

My name is Ms. Shawnna Shore and I am the new 9th grade counselor. Some of you may know me already through Project Success. I enjoy being at Irvine and was extremely excited when this opportunity arose to become the new counselor. Irvine High’s students and staff are amazing, they have welcomed me with open arms into this community. I have been working for Irvine Unified School District for 4 years and have been at Irvine High for almost 1 year. Some of my hobbies include swimming, hiking, scuba diving, yoga and almost anything outdoors. I have two children, one is in middle school and the other in high school, one dog, two cats, and 3 frogs.

What is your role in the Counseling Department?

My role in the counseling department is first and foremost an advocate for the students. My role is to support all the students, especially the 9th grade students.  Much of my role consists of collaborating and strategizing with students, parents and staff to provide the best school experience for everyone while promoting academic achievement.

Why did you want to be a counselor? 

I knew I wanted to be a counselor when I worked at a group home. It was then when I realized everyone needs somebody. Sometimes people need an outside perspective to understand what is going on inside. Being that set of eyes, that listening ear, and caring heart is my desire. Youth especially need to be heard, they need someone fighting for them, rooting for them, and their advocate.  I am that person and I want to show them all they have someone on their side.  

What is your counseling philosophy?

My counseling philosophy is everyone can succeed if they put their mind to it. My philosophy of counseling is built on the premise of a simple quote; “It isn’t where you came from, it’s where you’re going that counts.” Ella Fitzgerald. This quote reflects my core belief everyone can learn, develop and grow as long as they have the desire to do so. Students are the future of this country and it is my job to assist them with their journey.

What do you hope to accomplish this year with your students?

This year I hope to accomplish having all my students know they can achieve anything they desire and they are not defined by their circumstances. Even though life can be challenging at times, they are stronger than they think and I want to support them through that process. I want to show them I am a safe person to talk to for support.