Five seniors named National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists

Tina+Tan+not+pictured.+

Tina Tan not pictured.

Five Irvine High School Seniors were named National Merit Semifinalists for their performance on the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) taken in the fall of 2019.

Seniors Selene Huang, Hannah Jin, Ben Kim, Natalie Mao and Tina Tan qualified as National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists. These students scored above the National Merit Scholarship Index of 221 on their PSAT. 28 seniors were also commended for their scores. 

“The five Semifinalists should be proud of their accomplishments, as we are proud of their success,” counselor Kevin O’Connell said. “It is remarkable to be in the top 1% of students who took the PSAT nationally. It is also a huge honor to become a commended scholar.”

Semifinalists who wish to become a finalist must submit a completed application form, an essay, a Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) score that confirms their PSAT score and be fully endorsed by the Principal, Dr. Colunga by each deadline. 

I was honestly really surprised, but delighted when I first heard I qualified as a Semifinalist,” Semifinalist Ben Kim said. “It is a huge honor to represent Irvine High School.” 

In a normal school year, the counseling department would host a pizza luncheon. However due to current circumstances, a new event will be planned online to commemorate the seniors.