IHS Arts Council Launches YouTube Channel

Image via IHS Arts Council

Wanting to learn origami or draw a self portrait of your friend? Look no further than the Fine Arts Council YouTube channel. 

The Fine Arts Council published their channel in October, adapting to the pandemic and hybrid-learning, with accessibility in mind. Their channel is a compilation of tutorials, providing students a resource to learn new things, while simultaneously highlighting the arts program. All tutorials are created by a council representative, teaching different art mediums like sketching and shading to leading workouts and dance choreography. 

“Because we are virtual, we cannot do as many in-person events where we can display student art or showcase dance performances,” Associated Student Body adviser Morgan Rosser said. “The YouTube channel is working its way towards giving the arts program on our campus recognition, but also to support students while they are at home learning.”

The Fine Arts Council has had to pivot and organize more virtual events like the Halloween pumpkin decoration contest and Inktober prompts. Currently, they are working on encouraging student submissions for Irvine Talks and hope to implement an Artist of the Month. They are also planning to continue holding contests and showcasing student artwork on their Instagram @ihs.fine.arts

“I hope the channel can be an escape from reality,” Commissioner of Arts Alex Palakian said. “Art can be really therapeutic, so I hope people can learn some art skills, but mostly have a good time outside of everything. It is always there for anyone interested in learning something fun.”

Getting the Fine Arts YouTube channel approved and running was harder than anticipated. The approval process for the channel took a month from Irvine High administration, as their top priority was creating a safe and secure place for students. Before appearing on the channel, all Fine Arts council representatives were asked to sign a waiver. 

Creating the YouTube channel is a really great idea,” junior Una Santos said.  “It’s unique and creative, and I feel like it’ll have a bigger reachability since more people tend to follow and watch YouTube channels that focus on arts and crafts with a human interest. It’s a wonderful way of promoting our arts program and art in general, especially during the pandemic.” 

Check out the Fine Arts Council YouTube channel here