ASB Holds 6-Week Student Spirit Event

Image+via+IHS+ASB+Instagram+

Image via IHS ASB Instagram

The Irvine High School (IHS) Associated Student Body (ASB) is running a 6-week event to increase student spirit on campus.

At the start of the event, 394 IHS students responded to a Buzzfeed quiz and were sorted into the Hogwarts houses of either Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin. Throughout the event, sorted students will take part in a variety of virtual activities and spirit days, earning their house points for participation. At the end of the six week period, the house with most points will win.

“This is a fun competition that brings together different grade levels and all types of students so they can meet new friends virtually and also feel connected to campus groups who are a part of the eventsㅡStudent Forum, ASB, YAT and Class Councils,” Activities Director Morgan Rosser said. “I have heard positive responses from the students that are participating and I hope this fun activity helps everyone feel welcomed.”

For the first activity, each house group wore selected colors to school on a designated day. To receive points, students submitted photos to house leaders or tagged @irvinehighasb on their Instagram stories. In the following week, a “this or that” activity involving Harry Potter characters was introduced through ASB’s Instagram story. For Thanksgiving week, a Thanksgiving kindness challenge was organized by the Junior Class Council.

“We wanted to do a school-wide activity, where it wouldn’t be a competition between upperclassmen and lowerclassmen,” ASB Publicity Commissioner and senior Mya Henderson said. “Our priority was to make everyone feel unified during these difficult times and we got mostly positive feedback, especially from freshmen.”

Some upcoming events include a school-wide treasure hunt with QR codes, a canned food drive, a spirit week and an Among Us event run by Student Forum. 

“At the end of this activity, we hope to boost school morale and community,” Social Media Commissioner and junior Emme Song said. “Mya and I worked together to brainstorm ideas and activities for this competition. One of our goals while planning these events was to include as much of the school community as we could.”

ASB hopes to make this event a yearly tradition.