Model United Nations Club Participates in Virtual Conferences

Image via Unsplash

Despite the challenges of the virtual setting, Irvine High Schools Model United Nations Club continues to compete and empower students to take action on international affairs. 

Model United Nations is an education simulation and academic activity in which students can learn about diplomacy, international relations, and the United Nations. Students play the role of delegates from different countries and attempt to solve real world problems issues with the policies and perspectives of their assigned countries. 

“MUN lets you creatively provide solutions to current and relevant world events,” Director General and sophomore Mannat Bawa said. “It is an engaging way for me to think critically, participate in impromptu debates and learn about leadership around the world.”

Recent MUN events include virtual conference training hosted by IHS on October 24th and the University of California, San Diego’s TritonMUN XXI conference on November 7th, where Secretary General and senior Natalie Mao received an outstanding award for her performance and the Tustin High School MUN virtual conference on Saturday, November 21. 

MUN simulates various world organizations, such as the World Health Organization, Association of Southeast Asian Nations and even future crisis events such as the Scramble for Mars, which were some topics in the recent UCSD conference. While researching and debating these topics, students learn valuable critical thinking, communication and leadership skills. 

“I wanted to improve my public speaking skills,” freshman Ryan Lin said. “After joining MUN, I feel more confident in terms of conversation and conducting research.”

The IHS MUN club has been operating since 2010, with a recent revival in 2018. The club aims to provide students with a platform to compete in these conferences by enhancing their research, public speaking, and on demand debate skills. 

“MUN introduces you to a platform where your voice as a student is valued and heard,” Bawa said. “It is important that we understand the issues happening in the world and it’s great that we can start thinking of ways to solve them now.”