Committed senior athletes

March 22, 2021

The process for athletes signing to colleges begins on June 15 after an athlete’s sophomore year. Recently, the National Letter of Intent signing day was pushed back to August 1. As of today, eight Vaqueros have signed for college athletics as follows:

Rory Dudley

Rory+Dudley

Rory Dudley, who will be playing softball at Lehigh. Lehigh is a Division I school in the Patriot League. The most rewarding part, Dudley says, is getting to play the sport she was working for since childhood, in college.

Q: What have you learned throughout the process?

“I’ve learned how to be more confident in my ability to play, and that there isn’t necessarily one perfect college for everyone, there’s a lot of them with great qualities and you just have to find somewhere where you see yourself for the next four years.”

Q: Why did you choose Lehigh?

“I chose Lehigh because I felt that it was the best fit for me, and I saw myself living there for the next four years. The coaches are amazing, and I got to meet some of the team on my visit and they were so welcoming and wonderful. It has great academics, which was extremely important to me, and a good softball team. They also were wonderful about putting academics first and understanding how important our college education is. When I visited, I knew that I loved it and I really wanted to go there.”

Angelo Good

Angelo Good

Angelo Good, who will run cross country at Vanguard, which is in the Golden State Athletic Conference. He’s been in cross country for four years, and says he plans to get either a BA in business or BS in accounting.

Q: What is something you’ve gained from cross country?

A: “From the sport I have built my leadership and team bonding skills, as well as increased my speed and made a lot of cool friends. I believe doing cross country in college will help me make new friends again and continue to build skills such as leadership and communication which will help me as I navigate through college and beyond.”

Patrick Hackworth

Patrick+Hackworth

Patrick Hackworth; signed to University of California, San Diego to play baseball. He’s been playing baseball since he was four, and says he’s looking forward to playing for a Division I program.

Q: What have you learned from playing baseball? And what are some stressful and rewarding aspects of it?

A: “Over my years of playing baseball I’ve changed my mindset. Rather than getting frustrated by my mistakes, I try to learn from them. The most stressful aspect of baseball is learning to deal with failure. If a baseball player gets a hit 3 out of 10 of their at bats, they are doing very well. On the flip side, the reward is getting those hits to help your team win the game.”

Q: Why did you choose UCSD?

A: “In the fall of my junior year, I attended a baseball camp at UCSD and really enjoyed the experience. On top of that, it is a strong academic institution.”

Hinata Ikagawa

Hinata+Ikagawa

Hinata Ikagawa, who has signed to Oberlin’s DIII swim. Ikagawa says that throughout the process, he’s learned to set ambitious goals for himself, which has helped in everything he does beyond swimming.

Q: What are you looking forward to at Oberlin?

A: “I am looking forward to challenging myself once again in a new environment filled with countless potential friends! I am also ready to continue my ambitions in academics, choral music, and of course swimming.”

Q: What about Oberlin drew you to the school?

A: “I chose Oberlin College because I wanted to explore a new environment, and retain the same pillars from my high school experience that shaped me into the person I am today, including choral music, strong academics, diverse perspectives, water polo and swimming. And as if it was fate, Oberlin gave me an offer, and it sounded like exactly what I was looking for.”

Parker Macy

Parker+Macy

Parker Macy, who has signed to Notre Dame for swim. See his full story here

Delaney Morgan

Delaney+Morgan

Delaney Morgan, who has been playing softball for about 12 years; signed to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, which competes in NCAA Division II softball. The most stressful aspect, she says, is balancing workouts, practices, and games with school and other responsibilities; and the most rewarding feeling came from stepping onto the field with her best friends every weekend to play the game they mutually loved.

Q: What is something you learned throughout this process?

A: “Perseverance has been the number one lesson I have learned throughout the process. Softball is one of those sports that is a rollercoaster of performance. You will always have those days or weeks where you know you aren’t playing up to your potential, and knowing how to persevere and work through those times is crucial.”

Q: Why did you choose Embry-Riddle?

A: “Choosing Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University had to be the easiest choice I have made. I fell in love with the school the second I stepped on campus, and getting to know the coaches made the decision even easier. ERAU offered me strong athletics coupled with competitive academics and the promise of post graduate connections.”

Seraphina Ricci

Seraphina+Ricci

Seraphina Ricci, going to Ave Maria University in Florida. She says the most stressful part was the recruiting process, including writing emails every weekend and trying to get the attention of coaches.

Q: What was the most rewarding aspect?

The most rewarding part is definitely signing the Letter of Intent you have been waiting to sign for several years. Also being able to tell those who doubted you that you made it.

Q: Is there anyone you’d like to extend thanks to?

A: “I would like to thank my parents. My mom because she brought me to all my games and encouraged me through the hard times to keep moving forward. My dad because he was always my biggest fan and kept me going. Lastly, I would like to thank my brothers for always being an inspiration to me and being the people i look up to the most.”

Q: What drew you to Ave Maria, and what are you looking forward to?

A: “The coach and the girls on the team were a huge part of my decision. The campus is also very beautiful and the students have a lot of freedom. I’m looking forward to meeting new people, and also leaving the Irvine bubble for a while. After college though I do plan on coming back to live here.”

Aryan Sureen

Aryan Sureen, who has committed to New York University for DIII tennis. He’ll be majoring in psychology while completing pre-med prerequisites and minoring in film alongside athletics. He says he’d like to extend thanks to Coach Russell for believing in him, and Daniel Wei at Air Force Academy for always pushing him to do better.

Q: What are you looking forward to at NYU, and why did you choose it?

A:  I am looking forward to the city and the people I’m going to be surrounded with. I cannot wait to learn from every experience I have and study medicine at one of the best colleges in the country. I chose NYU because it allows me to pursue my three passions equally and consistently in the level of opportunity in the creatively and intellectually rich city of New York. Excited for what’s to come, and thankful for what has passed.

Q: What was the most rewarding part of the process?

A: “The most rewarding part was when I submitted my application. It was a double edged sword in a way, because I didn’t submit any other applications. I full sent one for NYU and spent hours and hours on my essays. I was confident in my application and I really didn’t see myself going to another school, but I was still a little uneasy until admissions came out. There was no guaranteed admission for athletics like there was for other schools. I’m just thankful and relieved that I have the opportunity to study and play tennis at such a perfect fit for me.”

EL VAQUERO • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Activate Search
Committed senior athletes