Online student news from Irvine High School

May 3 sports updates

With the sports seasons in full swing, here are some updates and goals for our athletic teams, as of April 29.

Girls Soccer
Girls Tennis
Boys Soccer

Boys Tennis

With a league record of 2-4-0, the boys varsity tennis team is close to the end of their season. They have a game today against Woodbridge at home and a final game on 5/5 at Beckman. Their season coincides with Girls Tennis, so their games are held only on Mondays and Wednesdays. Prior to the match, players click rackets instead of shaking hands. And during the game, single players are allowed to c...

Girls Water Polo
Football

Girls Basketball

Girls Basketball are soaring through the season with a current league record of 2-3-0. Their next game is May 4 against Woodbridge and their season will end with a last game against Northwood on May 18. Some changes during their season because of the pandemic is that they have to practice with masks, there are limited spectators at games because each player is restricted to bringing only two family mem...

Girls Cross Country

Away from the usual summer heat, girls cross country started their season on February 6 against Beckman. They had their league finals on March 20, ready to prepare for the next season. Players had to wear masks and stay six feet apart while stretching. However, they were allowed to run without masks when ten feet away from one another.   “This cross country season was very unique; we didn’t attend...

Girls Golf

Girls Golf started the season on March 22 against University. With a current record of 2-4 in Pacific Coast League, their next match will be on May 4 against Woodbridge. They will be celebrating their senior match on May 18 against Northwood, and League Finals on May 26. Some COVID restrictions the team followed were wearing masks while practicing, though they were allowed to take them off while on the c...

Softball

With a league standing of 3-1, varsity softball has beaten Laguna Hills and Portola in our league. At the beginning of the season, the softball team had to follow all the restrictions set in place for athletics. "It was also hard to practice since for most of the time from September to February we were limited on being able to even touch a ball most of the time, so practices were more aerobic conditioning,...

Baseball

Boys Lacrosse

Boys lacrosse began their season on April 8, and currently hold a league record of 1-6. Following COVID-19 restrictions, players need to be temperature checked before practices and games. In their most recent game against University, they ended with a score of 8-13. Their senior night game will be on Monday, May 10 in the IHS field, and spectators are allowed.   “[My greatest accomplishment for the seaso...

Girls Lacrosse

Girls Lacrosse began playing games on April 8. In their most recent win against Laguna Hills, they currently hold a record of 1-5.  In their most recent game against Northwood they won with a score of 16-1. Their senior night game will be May 12 from 3:30-5:50 pm. The team continues to wear masks when playing on the field, and only two family members per a player are allowed to attend games.  ...

Wrestling

Vaquero wrestling holds current standing of 3-2. Their next match will be against Portola on May 6. The team will also be celebrating their senior night on May 13, against University. COVID guidelines they followed were submitting a negative COVID test each week to participate in practices and matches. They also had to complete a daily survey, had temperature checks before practice, and athletes w...

Boys Basketball

The Varsity Boys Basketball team has a current league record of 0-5-0. They started their season on April 6 and have an upcoming game tomorrow against Woodbridge. Due to COVID-19, they started their season later than usual and now practices with masks and seating six feet apart. The basketball balls are sanitized after practice and during games, each player is allowed to bring two family members as ...

Boys Swim

Boys swim’s first meet was held March 24, and currently holds a record of 1-3. Their next meet will be on May 5th against Portola at 3 pm. During practice, the team was allowed to have two people per lane on each side of the pool, and each level was separated into different practice times.  “I had to be particular about tracking where everyone is, so that in the case of someone having COVI...

Boys Volleyball

Varsity boys volleyball began their season against Laguna Hills on March 29 and now they are nearing the end with a league record of 0-7-0. They were allowed to play indoors early March and started having full practices with masks. Their next game is May 5 against University and their last game will be on May 15 against Beckman.  “Playing during the pandemic wasn’t too big of a change,” Senior Daniel Chao sai...

Boys Water Polo
Track and Field
Boys Cross Country

Boys Golf

As 6th in League, boys golf started their season on April 6 against University. Their next match will be on May 6 against Beckman at Tustin Ranch Golf Course. Their last home game was on April 28 against University, and they plan to have League Finals on May 24. Some COVID restrictions they followed were temperature checks before practice and games, and social distancing. They wore masks during practice...

Girls Volleyball

Girls volleyball season concluded without any games. By the time CIF allowed indoor sports to resume, their season was nearing its end. Despite the lack of games, the team continued practicing daily on outside courts while wearing masks.  “Most of the time we just conditioned since we couldn’t play actual volleyball with each other, but eventually we were able to play beach and grass volley...

Esports

The League of Legends team is currently placed 5th out of 140 teams, while the Rocket league team is placed 35th out of around 400 teams. Both Esports teams competed and practiced fully online, without any in-person meet-ups.  “Having the team operate fully online was both a blessing and a curse,” Coach Ashleigh Frazer said. “I couldn't help with technical difficulties as well as W-iFi slowin...

EL VAQUERO • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in