Online student news from Irvine High School

Track and Field

Track and Field began their season with a meet against University on April 8. They have an upcoming meet against Beckman on May 6, and also have the  Irvine Distance Carnival on May 8. While only training in cohorts for most of the year, and losing access to the gym and lifting, athletes are still able to beat personal records. Some restrictions they followed were social distancing and wearing masks while warming up, though they were allowed to take them off when running.

“The highlights of my season were getting to compete in track meets because [it was possible] they weren’t going to happen, and reaching 30 feet in the triple jump,” junior Remy Kreuzer said. “Next year, I’m hoping to help continue making track a fun place for the team where they are unafraid to push themselves, as well where they can bond together, both during practice and meets.”

Runners are excited for the upcoming meets and the opportunity to competitively run after the restrictions were set in.

“I’d say that the highlight of my season is just the chance to compete after a year of quarantining and the Irvine Distance Carnival Meet,” junior Lucas Hepinger said. “I am hoping for next season to be a bit more normal and personally big performances at CIF and hopefully the state meet.”

EL VAQUERO • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Activate Search
Track and Field