COVID-19’s Effects on Teaching: IVA Teachers’ Perspectives

Image via Unsplash

Q: Why did you choose to become an IVA teacher?

World Language Teacher Leticia Thompson: I chose to teach in IVA to protect vulnerable family members from the virus .Now I’m looking forward to returning to IHS because I miss the social interaction and in person classes allows World Language students more opportunities to practice the language.  

PE and Health Teacher Lisa Baker: I chose IVA as a safety precaution and more consistency in the schedule and curriculum.  Teaching indoors and from a computer is extremely hard for a PE teacher.  I have missed my sunshine and being outdoors.  I had to buy a stepper to use while grading and a floor bike pedals to use while online. 

Q: Do you prefer IVA?

English Teacher Phillip Larnard: Though I was very thankful to forge a bunch of great new relationships with some amazing teachers and kids at IVA, but there is no place like home. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be back with the IHS family and see our kids face to face in the classroom.

English Teacher Daniel Chen: I do not prefer IVA over traditional learning, but I do not regret my decision due to personal circumstances.  It’s always been a dream of mine to “work from home,” but as they say, be careful what you wish for.  As a person with a health condition that exponentially increases my chance of dying from COVID-19, I am very thankful for the opportunity to teach at IVA this past year.

Q: How has COVID-19 affected your teaching this year? 

English Teacher Daniel Chen:  I get to teach class from the comfort of my own home, collaborate with some amazing teachers from other school sites that I normally would never have worked with, teach an interesting blend of students from every high school and also fully utilize/leverage my extensive technological expertise to experiment with online learning. One of the major differences I’ve noticed with online learning is that it is way less conducive to in-person collaborative learning; it can be intimidating as a student to speak up and volunteer when it feels like you’re talking “into the void” of the virtual classroom. Also, the amount of grading in front of a screen.