Irvine High seeks to rebrand logo

Image via Tien Bui

Irvine High School is revitalizing the Vaquero logo, symbolizing a year of renewal.

A focus group—composed of interested students, staff, coaches, parents and alumni met on Friday, October 8th to narrow three logos down to two.

“The project is not to do away with the Vaquero or our school colors,” assistant principal Chris Nguyen said. “It’s to think about our story as a school and think about: who we are, what values we embody and what we want our mascot to represent to the community.”

The process is more than graphic design. The focus group met to collectively share their perspectives and interpretations of the culture on campus to come up with a united vision. This vision helped designers understand who and what makes up Irvine High’s identity.

“It wasn’t coming up with a brand that was artistically trending today,” ASB advisor Mrs. Rosser said. “It’s more honing in on something that represents our school from now and 30 years from now.”

A new logo idea was proposed by the senior class of 2021. Unfortunately, the project hit pause during the pandemic, but is now resuming with hopes of reveal around Thanksgiving break.

“Irvine High has been through a lot the past years with Covid and many other enduring obstacles,” senior class president and member of the focus group Tori Nguyen said. “The new logo is a reminder that we can be flexible, modern and readjust to anything. As a true vaquero, we should reflect on who we are and constantly evolve everyday with passion.”

Students and the community will soon see the two logos in the Spur Weekly, Canvas and Instagram, and will then be asked to complete a feedback form. With the feedback, the school will come to a final selection.

“Design is subjective. Not everyone is going to like it, but not everyone is going to hate it either,” assistant principal Chris Nguyen said. “But, the crucial thing is that it will embody the objective of who we are.”

The current logo was made two decades ago.