SAT to change

The Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) will switch from paper and pencil to a digital format by 2024, as announced by the College Board on Jan. 25.

To compete with the decreasing popularity and reliance on standardized testing, the SAT will be given to high school students on computers and tablets either at school or a monitored testing site. The College Board expects the digitized SAT to combat the negative stigma around standardized tests and serve as an opportunity for students who still wish to submit a test score.

“The digital SAT will be easier to take, easier to give and more relevant,” vice president of College Readiness Assessments at the New York City-based College Board Priscilla Rodgridgues said in an interview. “We’re not simply putting the current SAT on a digital platform—we’re taking full advantage of what delivering an assessment digitally makes possible.”

The new version of the SAT will be shortened from three hours to two hours with more time given in between questions. The change will also include shorter passages in the reading section of the test and will permit graphing calculators during the entire math portion.

“The new SAT seems easier so I am more excited to take it,” freshman Srividya Kollu said. “In some ways, it feels too easy—like everyone can get a high score, which is beneficial for those who can’t afford a tutor, but harmful for those who work really hard to get a good score.”

Following this announcement, many students who have already taken the SAT find these changes to be both positive and negative.

“I am kind of apathetic to the idea that ‘future generations of [test takers] should suffer just as much as we have,’” senior Srishti Patel said. “On one hand, it does feel like they’re getting the easy way out, but on the other hand, maybe we are getting closer to leaving behind outdated things.”

The change will be implemented in 2024 for the United States and 2023 for other countries. The Preliminary SAT (PSAT) will be delivered digitally in 2023 for eighth and ninth graders and in 2024 for tenth graders.