8GFN makes a comeback

• Eighth Grade Family Night kicked off at 5pm on Wednesday, April 13. Incoming freshmen checked in before heading to the Unified Arts Elective Showcase.

• At the Unified Arts Elective Showcase, eighth graders received passports which student volunteers stamped. Junior Jocelyn Kwon stamps and answers questions from the incoming freshmen.

• Auto teacher Michael Campbell provides families information on the automotive mechanic courses offered at IHS.

• In the ITV room, camera equipment is displayed for students to get an understanding of what they use during production.

• An incoming freshman and parent observe the ceramics students’ work.

• Juniors Sarah Najjar and Katie Gwaltney showcase their skills in ceramics, while families walk by and learn what the class is about.

• In the engineering classroom, students demonstrate their innovations outside.

• Art teacher Erika Perales discusses the aspects of her art classes with families.

• Following the Visual Arts Elective Showcase, eighth graders headed to the practice gym area to visit the Electives Fair.

• Track and Field coach Kerry Hughes smiles at families who approach her table, offering them information on the athletics program at IHS.

• The drama department showcase their program and answered questions to families interested in joining next year.

• The world language teachers and students showcase their program and honor societies, inviting students to take Korean, Spanish or French.

• After the Elective Showcase, the final event of the evening was the student assembly.

• The assembly began with a speech from Dr. Monica Colunga addressing the IHS values and giving an overview of the programs offered on campus.

• Irvine Singers sang the Alma Mater, while the incoming freshmen heard it for the first time.

• The first performers of the night were Dance Ensemble. Dance teacher Sheryl Sloate also gave a quick brief on the dance program at IHS.

• Seniors Sanjana Nitturkar and Yoni Cohen spoke to the eighth graders about the visual arts programs, such as painting and drawing and ITV.

• Sarah Adams represents the drama department by singing “No One Else” from Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812

• Irvine High’s color guard effortlessly perform, with songs including River by Bishop Briggs and Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake.

• Percussion Ensemble showcase their talents, while junior Amy Zhang performs a solo part.

• Competitive Cheer were the last performance, rallying the crowd by chanting “IHS.”

• Members of Associated Student Body (ASB) came on stage to close the night. Bardia Safari and Meghaa Saravanan were introduced as next year’s ASB President and ASB Vice President.

• Bringing in their Vaquero spirit, ASB taught the incoming freshmen the V-House chant, closing off the night.