Meet the 2022-2023 ASB Cabinet

President Bardia Safari

El Vaquero: What are your goals for next year? 

Safari: I really want to bring ASB back to its mission, and obviously this year has been working towards it! ASB is really about having a connection with the student body, and we can do an even better job at it next year. This year, our Unity Week, along with football games and all the other activities we planned like the college commitment activities we’re doing for seniors, were amazing and built stronger relationships with our student body. It develops a really good connection and I want to continue doing that next year!

El Vaquero: What would you say to someone who’s thinking of joining ASB in the future? 

Safari: If you don’t typically see yourself as a “ASB person,” I think you should still go for it! There’s no such thing as “you have to be this experienced” or “you have to be the stereotypical ASB person” to join ASB. We take all types of people and the most important thing isn’t your qualifications, but the passions you have. And more than anything, if you’re genuinely passionate about serving the student body, you would be a great fit for ASB.

Vice President Meghaa Saravanan

El Vaquero: Is there anything you’re excited about for the upcoming year?

Saravanan: Bardia and I want to work together and see what we can accomplish next year! I think we have a lot in mind, we have a lot of goals that we’ve set up, a lot of ideas that we have prepared and we’re really excited to bring them to fruition and really just make the most out of next year!

Saravanan: ASB has really given me a place on campus and it’s allowed me to grow as a person. I’ve met some really amazing people, so if you want to contribute back to your campus and want to be involved and give back to the school, along with that make amazing memories and build amazing connections, then I believe it’s a great opportunity to take.

Commissioner of Activities Megan Lai

El Vaquero: What made you want to join ASB at Irvine High School?

Lai: When I was in Venado ASB, I helped out as a Treasurer there, so I really enjoyed ASB and planning events. I got to plan a lot of dances and fundraisers, and I think that definitely sparked it. Once I came to Irvine High School I did class council for three years and that helped me grow and understand what ASB really does for students.

Lai: For next year I hope that we can bring back our strong school spirit. I really want to plan a lot of activities. I know this year we had a couple new ones, like the summer carnival we did at the beginning of the year. So if we do a lot of those new events and lunch time activities, they would be fun and encourage people to join in. 

Commissioner of Spirit Callie Shane

El Vaquero: What’s the most memorable moment you’ve had in ASB?

Shane: At Irvine, I liked setting up for football games. I would stay at school from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. every Friday just to be able to set up those games for our school. And staying here for so long really showed myself how much time I was willing to spend with ASB, our school and how much I cared to help out. And just walking around the field as an ASB member past the football players stretching and the marching band warming up and color guard and cheer doing their thing was really special.

El Vaquero: Do you have any ideas for feedback from students next year?

Shane: Since ASB are the ones who plan events, we can’t be the only ones giving opinions. I think next year, the easiest way we can reach out to people is through technology, like being more active on Instagram and making polls for voices from our student body.

Commissioner of Assemblies Josh La Scala

Scala: For me, I just like getting my name out there and just having people know that there’s someone they can count on. And I hope people can be like, “Oh I know this guy! He does really funny things. And you know what, if he’s able to do it, then I feel like I can put myself out there just a little bit more.”

Scala: In between rallies, I just remember when everyone’s leaving and we have an extra 20 minutes. Everyone from the dance team and color guard came down, and we were all just dancing to music. It’s so much fun because we all knew that we put in so much work and even if some people don’t appreciate it during the rally, we get to appreciate all the work we put in ourselves.

Senior Class President Arjun Dabir

Dabir: I’ve been doing ASB for the past couple years and I really like the community and environment. It makes you push and strive to do better because everyone here pushes you to do work, so you’re always productive. And I like the idea that I’m going to plan Formal after planning Prom this year because I really enjoyed the process and it made me want to do it again.

Dabir:  Honestly, just being a senior. It’s not as stressful as junior year. Just enjoying Senior Sunrise, Senior Sunset and all of those special senior-only activities, I can’t wait.

Junior Class President Rojein Mahmoudi

Mahmoudi: My goal for next year is to focus more on mental health for all of our classes. And I want to create more activities and crafts that everyone can enjoy just to help boost people’s mental well-being, because as a student, I know school is really stressful. And junior year is going to be really stressful, so I want to have stuff that can help calm people down during school too, not just after school.

El Vaquero: What events do you want to plan? 

Mahmoudi:  I think we should have a slime making station in the Quad which would be super fun! And I also want to plan more events for all the sports because I feel like there’s a lot of sports not being recognized, especially once the fall sports season ends. But I want everyone to go to every game and have the same spirit for football and basketball games.

Sophomore Class President Jakob Autajay

Autajay: I can’t wait for football games to come back in season. It was one of my favorite parts of the year—just having everyone screaming together at the top of their lungs, “GO IRVINE!” I’m just sad that some seniors won’t be there!

El Vaquero: What is the most memorable moment you’ve had in ASB?

Autajay: I think the most memorable moment was the last ASB hangout that we had—I just enjoy having everybody all together. My grade level isn’t really talkative to me, but I can really talk to ASB freely, and like being at a party, we don’t have to do any work, so it was all enjoyable.