Q&A: How our IHS athletes are staying fit and their tips for staying active

We asked some of our athletes what they are doing to stay active during quarantine and any tips they might have for others looking to get fit.

Darin Hurst

Sophomore Katie Vo

Volleyball, outside hitter 

What are you doing to maintain your health during quarantine?

I have been working to improve and better my core and arm strength by doing simple home workouts every day. I have also been taking runs and playing volleyball with my dad outside to get some vitamin D and to stay fit. 

Junior Kyra Magda

Basketball, shooting guard

Are there any tips you have for students to remain healthy at home?

At home, it is so tempting to eat all the sweets I know are in the cabinet so I drink a lot of water. Also exercising in the morning, I think, is the best way to stay motivated because then the rest of my day is free and I don’t have the time to persuade myself out of exercising.

Junior Seraphina Ricci

Softball, pitcher and 3rd base

Recently to keep healthy I have gone on jogs and been eating smaller portions. I have also been doing skill-based drills at home that are specifically for softball as well.

Senior Amy Hebert

Soccer, right midfield

You can pick up a new active hobby like learning roller skating, skating, or trying to run faster. Try to set goals for yourself but don’t be upset if you don’t achieve all of them or take a day off. Overall I’d say try to stay active but remember this is a hard time for everyone so don’t feel discouraged if you’re not doing as much as before.

Junior Rory Dudley

Softball, catcher

During quarantine, I’ve mostly been doing workouts that have been given to me by my softball coaches outside of school. I will work out every day, hit four times a week, and throw around 3-4 times a week as well. This helps me stay in shape and get ready for my club season to hopefully start in the summer. I’ve also been just going outside as much as possible and playing sports with my neighbors and family.

Sophomore Lance Navone

Football, center and defensive end

The main thing I would recommend is running because it’s about the best cardio you can get to stay in shape, anyone can do it, and you can make it as hard as you need to match your fitness level. Running a few times a week is amazing for your health. If you need weights but don’t have any available, filling a backpack with books or any heavy thing you have works great.

Senior Maryam Chahine

Lacrosse, midfield

Not only do I work out every day, but I also make sure I eat healthily. Every day the lacrosse team meets at 2:15 to exercise through google meets so that really motivated me and forced me to work out. However, that just ended so I will be following workouts online to keep myself fit.

Junior Aryan Sureen

Tennis, #2 singles

The good thing about quarantine is that you get to do all the things you said you would do if you had time. Well, now there’s the time! It’s important to space your life out and try to do something productive every day, for both your mental and physical health. Drink water, run, make smoothies, stretch, meditate, but don’t just sit around on TikTok all day. 

Junior Christopher Soto Warhop

Basketball, center

Some tips for students to remain healthy is to try to make up their own workouts. Just make these workouts fun to the point where you want to continue doing them.

Sophomore Sawyer Spivey 

Baseball, shortstop and pitcher

I have been lifting and training every day so when I get back into baseball season I am not in a slump. I have been eating healthier and have been trying to gain more mass so I can be at my top performance when the next season comes around.

Junior Apollo Anderson

Lacrosse, midfield

Make sure you get enough sleep. The cycle of sleeping at 5 A.M. until 2 P.M. is not normal for your body.

Senior Jason Han

Volleyball, libero

Just doing even just a little exercise consistently at home will keep you healthy and fit. For example, doing only 20 push-ups a day but every day can be a lot of help.