Advice to underclassmen

Sharon Wright

Image via Unsplash

Academics

• It is important to stay organized. Write down all of your assignments in a planner or any other medium for you to remember, and organize your papers in a binder or folder. It is preferable to have tabs that separate classwork and homework for each class. 
  • Ask questions in class and do not be afraid to make mistakes. Your classmates may have the same questions that you have and will be thankful if the teacher goes over it again. Remember, you learn from your mistakes. 
  • Do not procrastinate. Make a “study time,” an hour or two, each day after school for you to review the class materials and work on any assigned projects. Continual study habits will better help you review and study for the test instead of cramming the night before.
  • If teachers offer study guides, it is important to complete and read over them because teachers base their tests contents on the study guides. Include helpful pictures or diagrams in the document and write the information using textbook, class notes, internet, etc. It is important to read over the topics listed in the study guide in your textbook. 

Club-related/Extracurriculars

• Join clubs or take electives you are interested in to meet new people with common interests and earn volunteer hours. 
  • If possible, try to lead your club. You will be able to learn important lessons on responsibility and build more intimate relationships with your club members. 
  • Join sports. By training with your peers and competing with other teams, you will learn valuable lessons on teamwork and cooperation. You will also maintain a healthy diet, fit and habits that will improve your health. 

Social 

• Be confident. Do not worry if other people may judge you because your confidence will boost your appearance. Make eye contact, sit up high, and talk clearly. 
  • When you are facing difficulties, talk to your friends, trusted adults, or your guidance counselor. They may provide helpful solutions or advice as experienced individuals. 
  • Do not be pressured by your peers. Follow your morals and your own plans. Judge if certain actions will be helpful or harmful in your life and make your own decision. 

School Spirit    

• Join school activities, such as football games, Prom, Winter Formal, Homecoming, sports games, and any other events created by the student council. By joining, you will be connected within the student body and will create memorable experiences that you can’t create elsewhere.
  • Watch iTV or read El Vaquero newspaper to stay updated with school events. Learning about the school and staying informed will help you find resources based on your interests and enjoy your high school life. 
  • Write “Letters to the Editor” to have a voice in school. As a student, you have the power to enact change and express discontent toward any policies at school. You can improve the school by standing up for any changes.